Mushrooms make these kicked-up sloppy Joes ultra-meaty. But there’s no meat here, making this vegan sandwich one of the lightest sloppy Joes you’ll probably every make.
People who only likes to eat vegan food has a perfect chance to try to this sandwich and give your mouth a new taste. The only thing you need to make sure is that you only use organic ingredients in this recipe. While purchasing the ingredients, read the package and ensure that you are selecting the organic one. The organic food is a lot healthier as compared to conventional food. Let’s get to the point and see what this recipe has to offer:
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups light beer (drink what’s left in the bottle)
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns
- Shredded red cabbage or lettuce, pickled jalapeno and scallions, for serving, optional
Description – Spicy Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 tablespoon beer and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and chipotle powder and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining beer, the ketchup, tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook while stirring until the sauce is the consistency that you like, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto each bun. Serve with toppings if desired.
Cook’s Note: Some of the buns are non-vegan so make sure that you see the label while purchasing your hamburger. There are some hamburgers that include dairy and eggs.