These may look like your typical blueberry muffins recipe, but they’re hiding a healthful secret. Packed inside is a cup of whatever nutritional vegetable or fruit puree you have on hand (our favorite is squash or half squash, half sweet potato).
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, grapeseed, coconut, etc.)
- 1 cup puréed vegetable or fruit (suggestions: squash, sweet potato, carrots, apples, peas, peaches)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Get a large bowl and add baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and whisk them.
- Get another bowl and add bananas, oil, brown sugar, buttermilk, vegetable or fruit, and mix them.
- In the dry ingredients, try to make a well and add all the wet ingredients in it. Mix them until combined them well. Add the bluberries.
- Get the muffin tins and fill them aftering proper greasing.
- Put these muffins in the oven and let them bake until the top get golden in color. Try tp insert a skewer and if it comes out clean, remove the heat. Usually, it takes around 20 minutes in the oven.
- After removing from the oven, let them cool down in a pan for about ten minutes. Now, cool them on a wire rack for about ten minutes and they are ready for serving.
- Store leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, or freeze them.
Read original article here: http://www.simplyorganic.com/recipes/sneaky-blueberry-muffins